The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Polish

These last few days have felt like one disappointment after another. It has been hard not knowing what to do about almost everything. We didn't know why the medicines were making him so loopy. We didn't know where we were going to stay each night while waiting for RMH. We don't know what made him so sick. We're not sure why his ANC is taking so long to rise. We don't know if, or when, Caden will be able to go home. It feels like one thing after another to bring us to another low. 

Our journey has been a definite period of growth. Just when we thought we had a handle on all that was expected, we're hit with something else. Something that makes us realize that we are not finished- we have something more to learn. We are so tired. I hope we come out of this better than when we entered. 

I took a pottery class in High School. It didn't take long for me to realize I would never be a master potter. I had no skill! I enjoyed working on the wheel about as much as I like seafood. Which is to say...not at all. I don't like wet hands, so it was always a struggle to keep myself focused enough to work the clay as needed. I came close to making a vase- once. I had it formed, thinking I'd make it just a little bit taller. Starting from the bottom, using just the right amount of pressure, I started making my way up the length of my sculpture. As I neared the top, my finger caught on an imperfection I hadn't seen and ended up ripping a hole through the vase. This caused the whole thing to start teetering which eventually made the clay spin out of control, off the wheel and onto the floor. Tears and frustration made me change my project from a beautiful vase to small bowl that held my earrings. 

Like my vase, we come with many imperfections, some that can be seen and others that can't. We just have to have faith that our imperfections can be polished out. That we will be made more beautiful by the Master's hand. And become a vessel to hold something beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment