The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Compare

Our plans have been more fluid in these past few months than they have been my whole life. So it's no surprise that they changed this afternoon in the blink of an eye. 

There was a glitch with scheduling that moved an echo from Wednesday afternoon to early Thursday morning. Since I had the CT Scans scheduled for Thursday and the port removal for Monday, I didn't want to have another day of travel. In fact, they will even check to see if there is a cancellation on Friday to get his port removed, just so I don't have another travel day. I LOVE Seattle Children's! Not only do they listen to what we want (The last two Rounds were our choice, not obligation) but, because they really try to accommodate schedules. However, it didn't much matter, the only appointment time they had open was 9:00AM. So, knowing I'm too tired recently to wake earlier than 7:00AM, Randy packed us up tonight for a stay in Seattle. 

As I reflect on the last week of 100% normal family life, enjoying the love in our Yukon as we travel together to one of our last big appointment days, I can't help but compare this beautiful drive to the one that changed our lives forever. 

One was rushed, the other lazy. One was scary, the other is happily anticipated. One was foggy winter, the other blue-skied perfection. One was travelled alone with a heavy heart and many tears, the other filled with laughter and games. One brought news of possible death, this one brings news of a cancer-free life. 

Each time I drove this road, I'd be reminded of moments from that first drive. Tears shed at this curve, a phone call from Randy with news near this bend... Each time I felt the anxiety of that day. The fear that gripped my heart and choked my breath. "A large mass in his liver," played over and over in my mind. I was SO scared! But that is changing tonight. Because I'm making new memories of this route. I've got happiness in my heart, love in my car, and a hand on my knee. I am with the ones I love on a trip of possibilities. 

Compared to that drive January 31st, I'm flying on Cloud 9!

No comments:

Post a Comment