With Keilie's birthday last Friday, I was frantic to find the perfect gift. We had many different gift ideas, but I didn't feel like any of them would be just right for a girl that had to mature so much in the last few months. Something was said about Caden selling a tablet he'd purchased a few months ago, and Keilie said she was thinking about buying it. Chemo messed with his mind so much! He purchased this tablet when he already had an iPad. He made the comment that he has no idea why he bought it, and barely remembers making the decision. He was adament, so I let him. What do you do?
(I can't believe that I actually purchased this horribly-posed picture)
This gave me such a great idea. So, I asked Caden if he would allow me to buy the tablet from him to give to her for her birthday. His eyes lit up, and he said, "How about I just give it to her for her birthday!!"
Caden has always been a great gift giver. He is always so selfless in his gifts. He thinks about them for a while, and once he's made up his mind, will do what is needed to give the gift of choice. I was surprised to hear him say that he would give her this gift that had cost him one of his larger gift cards. He had an opportunity to get money for a mistake purchase, but saw the chance to give a great gift instead.He wrapped it in a full tissue box to make it look like he got her a box of tissues. His excitement for her birthday was pretty fun to see. The recent arguing that has escalated the last few weeks was put aside for one day of amazing love, excitement, partying, and fun. Not one argument or mean thing was said for one day. Tender mercy. The sad thing was that he was SO excited to give it to her, that he woke her early with his gift. While we were still asleep. We missed the party! But seeing my sweet Keilie bounce into our room to tell us how happy she was made it alright. Kind of. Seeing Caden's shy smile from his generous gift was perfection. It gives me hope that their constant bickering will one day turn into a friendship that I always wanted with my non-existent brother.
And for the record, we never came up with one gift that I felt was perfect. It ended up just being one big day of fun, instead. But I don't mind. It was better this way, anyway.


No comments:
Post a Comment