The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Friday, October 31, 2014

Demolition

We had a huge food storage in Wyoming. The friends that purchased our house also purchased 90% of our storage. With such a small house, the only place to keep our current storage of food is in the garage. Two years of fluctuating temperatures has spoiled too much food. It breaks my heart each time we open a can and have to throw away the 24 other cans because of spoilage. Randy and I sat down on Sunday to address the issue. And the idea of remodeling was born. 

Randy left for Montana on Tuesday morning after a jam-packed Monday, so we didn't have any time to begin. He told me that I could begin, but at that time I didn't have enough courage to begin ripping apart our house without him. Until I got an urge...
I didn't tell the kids what I was doing before I took the sledgehammer to the wall. The looks on their faces was priceless. You could feel the electric charge of excitement build from that moment on. 

Since we share a kitchen wall with our friends, I made sure it wasn't bothering them that we were pounding holes in our walls. And of course, I asked if they wanted to take a bash at it!
Blake had a blast! What little boy would not want to get the chance to beat holes in a wall? Caden was practically flying with excitement!!



This wall was the hiding wall for our fridge that sits directly next to our stove. I have always hated that. When I cook, I want space to move around. The fridge always created a barrier. No more!! We are knocking down the wall to open up our tiny kitchen, adding a double counter and cabinet to the space, and getting 39 more inches of counter space. (Sigh)

When Steph, Jeff, and Blake left, Jeff made the comment that everyone loves demolition, it's the cleanup that everyone hates. And boy did we have cleanup. And the wall isn't even done! But my kids LOVED cleanup. There was even arguing about whose turn it was to help!


At prayer time, Shelby said, "We thank Thee for the fun time we had bashing holes into the wall. And we thank Thee for the fun time we had cleaning it up."  I think we can chalk that one up to cool mom moment!!

Stay tuned for more fun moments. More demolition begins tomorrow morning. If Randy had his way, we'd be knocking down walls at 6:00AM!

No comments:

Post a Comment