I searched for the study, finding it easily under Power Pose Research. After reading through the 20-page study, Randy and I decided to use the research as our lesson for Family Home Evening. While they don't have many high-stakes events in the near-future (their citations said college admissions, jobs, and venture capital), they could easily get into the habit of striking the pose now (tests, recitals, talks, debates, etc). We practiced some of the poses they suggested. The Superman/Wonder Woman. The Starfish (as if you just made a touchdown; arms in a V above your head, legs separated). The Boss (feet propped on desk, chest open, hands behind head; the vision of ease). We set the timer for two minutes and had them recite the phrase "I'm good enough! I'm smart enough! And people really like me!!" We posted the phrase on all bathroom mirrors, asking them to recite it every morning before they left for their day. This may not hold any value for our eternal progression, but we wanted them to realize that we could help our bodies help us. The study states: "The acquisition of power causes individuals to feel more positive, in control, and optimistic about the future, and to become more goal-oriented and likely to take action."
I happened to be walking by the bathroom, on my way to my room, when I heard Brennon reciting the phrase. I peeked in as he finished, smiling when I saw his face. My Brennon was beaming at himself. With this small little glimpse, I am hopeful. If my children leave the house feeling as proud as my little Brennon felt, I will call it a success. For me, this is just one more tool to help my brain.
(Wonder Woman Pose) "I'm good enough! I'm smart enough! And people really like me!!"
It's so funny that I just watched a show on Netflix (just a scripted drama) where a doctor was doing that very thing. She had a big surgery ahead of her so she was doing the Superman pose and when others questioned her she basically stated the same research you did. I honestly can't imagine myself trying this but I like the idea!
ReplyDelete