The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Christmas Present

Frantic for Shelby to stop sucking her thumb, we set up an appointment with the orthodontist. He may be my favorite person on the planet right now, to be quite honest. I'm not sure the absolute honesty of his words, but they have done their work like a charm. 

"Shelby, your choice has become quite serious. If you do not stop sucking your thumb, I will have to do a surgery where I cut up your jaw, break the bone to fix your teeth, and then wire your teeth shut to fix them."

She cried. And became determined. We had her fitted for a metal device to be implanted into her mouth that wouldn't allow for suction between the roof of her mouth and her tongue. Just getting fitted for the spacers hurt her. I do not like seeing my children in pain!

However, since September 18th, Shelby has been a rockstar. She has asked for her thumb to be painted with the No Bite polish, and has commented on many different situations that she has not been sucking her thumb. Most exciting has been that we have not seen too much of a struggle. She made up her mind, and stopped. 
I am proud of this cutie. Sucking her thumb started at four, but she has been a "sucker" since birth. This is the girl that came from the womb with a hickey on her wrist. 

I may keep the device that has not been implanted yet, as a souvenir. Oh, I got it! As a Christmas present! Tubular!

2 comments: