The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Friday, January 27, 2017

Random

Tyson has had allergies for a few days now.  It started approximately Saturday, with Sunday being the day I recognized it the most-- it's pretty easy to hear sniffling in Sacrament Meeting.  A couple nights ago, Tyson mentioned that he couldn't hear 'that good' out of his left ear before going to bed.  With all of the sinus stuff that he was experiencing, it wasn't that much of a surprise that his ears were congested.  We gave him a decongestant, Tylenol, and sent him to bed.

Around 10:00pm, we heard him crying from downstairs.  Since he's at the end of the bonus room that is on the opposite side of the house from where we were watching TV, it was some loud wailing.  By the time we walked up to see what the problem was, he'd been crying for about 2 minutes, or so.  He could barely say the words that his ear hurt, for the tears and hyperventilating sobs.

A couple of months ago, Jamie said that one of her girls had some ear issues.  We always have drops and stuff for ears, ever since Shelby started with her 16 ear infections in 6 months.  From then on, we've been well stocked with all sorts of ear remedies.  However, I got on and researched home remedies for Ear Infections to see if I could help her just a little bit more with cutting-edge new ideas.  One thing that came up was to use Hydrogen Peroxide in the ear canal to help bring oxygen to the infection to kill the virus.  I saw hundreds of people say they'd tried it and that it worked like a charm.  I told myself that I'd try it, if my kids ever had ear pain/problems again.  So we did.

We had him lay on our bed with the ear exposed, and just filled the ear canal with a dropper.  We had him lay there for 5 minutes, sit up and drain the ear, and then repeated it one more time.  After just 10 minutes, he said he didn't feel pain anymore.  It didn't fizz as much as some of the other pictures I'd seen- some looked like a volcano eruption of fizz- but with his ears already being compromised with ear infections and tubes as an infant, he may not have had much of an infection to cause that much pain.  The simple fact that he'd turned completely white (not just face, but hands and feet) from the hyperventilating sobs, to going to bed 10 minutes later without pain, is enough evidence for me.

When he woke yesterday morning, I was anxious to hear how he was.  No pain at all!  He said he still had stuff that made it so he couldn't hear all the way, but there was no pain.  We used some of our infection drops one more time, and just left it at that.  This morning, the first thing he said to me was that he wasn't 'deaf' anymore.  Pretty cool.  It could simply be that enough time has passed, that the sinuses and ears have drained, but it also could be the Hydrogen Peroxide.  Either way, I'm willing to try it again, should the need arise.

Typical that I should find this bit of wisdom after I severely need it.  Three of our kids had to have Tubes, with Caden needing them, but not being able to afford them without insurance.  Same thing with Potato Shavings to help pull out Mastitis infection.  I learned that bit of genius after Tyson was born.  I got it twice with Keilie, once with Shelby, and ended up giving up nursing Tyson altogether, because I got it soon after bringing him home.  I just couldn't do it again-- I have never felt like I wanted to die as much as when I was sick with that.  Honestly, it was 'normal' to 'bed ridden, delirious, can't pick up my baby' in just 10 minutes for me.  The one bit of information that ended up working miracles for us was a couple drops of breast milk in the eye after each feeding for clogged tear ducts.  That worked wonders- saving us a surgery, in fact.  I love knowing stuff like this-- medical miracles that can be had from the most random things.  So neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment