The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Friday, December 25, 2020

Christmas Day 2020

 We are the scrooges that tell our kids they can't wake us before 9:00am on Christmas morning.  Well, ok, not 9:00am, but later than most kids like to wait.  When sending our kids off to bed at 10:00pm, we called up like we always do, "No coming down to get one more drink.  Don't wake us up until 7:30am.  Goodnight!"  But I had other plans in mind.  Like my wrapping paper surprise, I wanted to add one more-- Let's wake them at 4:30am?!  We set our alarms, I took my depression medicine that also works as a sleep aid, and went to bed.  My excitement had other plans-- the last time I looked at the clock after tossing and turning was 2:37am.  It's going to be an AWESOME day!

One fun thing about having cameras all over our home is the videos that captured my voice as I knocked on each door, "MERRY CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"  You can hear my groggy giddiness!  We opened gifts while cinnamon rolls baked and then headed out to deliver them with our last 12-days of Christmas gift: Baby Jesus.  A few years ago, I found an idea on Pinterest where you print off scriptures to go along with a carved Nativity to assemble for 12 days, Baby Jesus delivered on Christmas Day.  We just delivered it much earlier than we ever have.  The cinnamon rolls were hot when we dropped them off with a soft knock (there were lights on, but we didn't want to wake anyone with our usual ring and run), but I don't know if they ate them while hot, seeing as it was 5:30am.

We came back to open Grandparent gifts since I wanted to try and FaceTime or Video.  My parents had given us money for gifts, but also shared some of an inheritance they'd received from Grandpa and Grandma Kimber's estate.  We decided to use that money for something our kids have been asking for for a few years but was too expensive for our blood: A PlayStation and Virtual Reality system with Just Dance.  6:30am Utah time, we called my parents.  They answered from waking, their groggy"Hello" sounding like my "Merry Christmas" an hour prior, keeping the lights off cause they 1) don't have kids to surprise at 4:30am and 2) don't want to surprise their Grandkids with their state of undress.  I'm not sure how much sleep they got after the squeals of our kids!  

Jackie and Darwin had also sent more money than usual.  Not wanting to wake them (I did feel a bit bad for waking my parents because we all know how much I cherish sleeping in), I recorded a video instead.  Keilie felt a bit of guilt for bragging, "I got more money than you guys.  Guess I'm their favorite Grandchild."  The other kids all looked at her and said, "We don't care how much money we got," to which she shut her mouth right quick.  They used some of the money to purchase a VR game they love: Beat Saber.  *The girls wanted to buy it, but the boys didn't really care.  "Well, if you don't help buy it, you'll never get to play," Keilie heatedly protested.  After a few minutes, Brennon said he'd go in on it with them, wanting to keep the peace with Keilie.  Tyson, "I'll go in on it, too, then, because Brennon will always let me play for free, and that wouldn't be fair."



After my nap, I woke to this...
We technically had a White Christmas, even though I think that is only cool if you wake to it fresh and white before opening your presents.  Just my opinion, though.
The kids sure loved it.  Tyson and Shelby went out for a snowball fight while Mira ran victory laps around the yard.  I love that I captured a snowball mid-flight!
And so it begins...

We had such a good day.  It was nice to have a break from some of the contention that has been building over the last year.  All the kids were kind, pleasant, and happy.  It was a FUN day!

No comments:

Post a Comment