The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Friday, February 21, 2014

Ronald McDonald House

We finally got released at 5:00 PM on Monday night. They did Rounds at about 2:00 and said we could go. I got the car packed with the BOX we got from White Bluffs and a few food items and came back to wait. And wait. Enough time to actually take a nap, kind of waiting. They finally got his port de-accessed (needle removed from the port) and we were ready to scram. However, as soon as he stood up he started throwing up. This brought the doctor in to talk about it. And then say he wanted to check with the Fellow about it. As per the norm, it took him about 30 minutes to get back to us. I knew it was because they hadn't given him his nausea medicine, but it's better to be safe than sorry. And, finally, we were out of there. I may or may not have jogged to the car. Well, we can probably say it was more of a sprint. Ok, ok, I may have actually ran as fast as I could on the straight-ways. It was very liberating! There may have been a maniacal laugh a time or two!  Finally Caden got to see our new home number three. The Ronald McDonald House building A, room 383!!
Here's our room...
Just as you walk into the room, to the right.
Where the magic beautification happens. Or, not!
View from just past the bathroom. Isn't it glorious?! So Much Space!! I wish I could have gotten pictures of our other room. We had two twin beds that we smashed together to add a third. There was no room on any other direction. I LOVED it. After weeks of having absolutely no privacy and being abused and literally placed under a microscope, it was our sanctuary, our palace! This room seems Huge. And absolutely wonderful!
Yes, that's Caden laughing!! He's watching Studio C, one of our many gifts from some of Caden's Crew. Love to hear his easy-going laugh. 
Caden's Health Shelves! His "milkshakes" and 13 medicines.  Some taken three times a day, most just two times. 
Caden's Activity Shelves. This is where we keep EVERY SINGLE gift that he has gotten!!! Look at those shelves. They are all from YOU!!! Thank You!!!
Going down!! Level two is the main lobby (that looks like any other hotel lobby), computer room with four computers for free use, a cubby with x-box and Wii for anyone to use, the mail room, and resource center where we can rent movies and games. It is exquisite!
Floor one holds the Kitchen...
Grand, huh?! To ensure that they stay as clean as possible, we are not allowed to eat in our rooms. We share spaces to keep the cleaning to one central space. Caden is allowed to eat in his room since he can't be in public, but we have to have special passes for that. Otherwise we eat here. 
There are two kitchen area based on your room number. We're 383.



Not only do we have communal space, but a pantry and fridge as well. Everything in this room is free and for our use.
Milk comes every few days and all of the food is delivered and dated for our use. All the pots and pans, glassware, and eating supplies are for our needs. They have about 16 stoves, dishwashers, and sinks, and we each get our own mini fridge
And cupboard
That is not my food, someone was cooking. It is SO wonderful.
We have our own basket in the Family Freezer. If I have to be away from home, at least I can make my own food.

In the basement, we have a playground
Game room
A theatre room donated by Rashard Lewis of the Sonics
And a Teen Room full of video games. I didn't get a picture of that because, this may surprise some of you, I'm not a teen. Shocker, I know! The last room is one of my favorite. The, dum-dum-dum, Laundry Room
11 AMAZING W/D sets. I get to do two loads of laundry AT THE SAME TIME!! I know! Giddy!!
Again, all of the soap is free for our use. As is the parking garage. I do not get wet when I get in and out of my car! That is unheard of in Seattle. I feel SO lucky! :)

In all seriousness, I really do feel lucky!! How grateful I am to be able to use this donation! Thank You, McDonalds!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. HI, I'm Karen (wife to Anthony St. Martin from Kennewick) and you met him and Nicole last week after she was recovering from major leg surgery. I had to comment because you have the same room @ RMH that we had for 8mos! RMH is a God send and we were so thankful for all they had to offer while we made residence there. We have told so many that they are an awesome place to make donations to! I don't know if he told you that we have 5 children also (ages appear older than yours). God bless you as you go on this journey of cancer with your son. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me. We learned so much from others on our journey with Nicole.

    ReplyDelete