Dear Stephanie,
I want to share with you my experience last
Sunday. I won't go into details about my own health trials, but suffice
it to say I really struggled last week to even get up and go to church. I
talked myself into going to Sacrament meeting - knowing that even if I
felt lousy while I was there I would feel worse if I didn't go. Normally
I sit in the SAME place every Sunday (don't want to change the rotation
of the earth you know ~ Smile) Last week I came a little late so sat in
the back. Well - sure enough the Lord had a powerful message to send to
me in the form of Caden. First, he administered the Sacrament to me. I
felt like I had the Sacrament brought to me by an angel, AND the Spirit
sort of slapped me up side the head and said "See - What are YOU
complaining about?" and then to hear him speak in church was an added
blessing. I wish I could wave my mother's magic wand and make
everything all better for you, Caden, (and honestly myself) - but your
willingness to share your experience has been like a breath of fresh
air in my life. Please let Caden know that I pray for him (and for you
and your family) morning and night. His (and your) strength, help those
of us with our own (though lesser) trials to be strengthened. Love you!
I received this email on my birthday. Jan probably didn't know that it was my birthday, or that her words were a gift to me that day. She was a miracle to me that day.
I was talking to Caden about it on Sunday. Since his counts were not high enough (still are not high enough), and since Randy had to go out of town on Monday, we met in the middle of the drive. Randy got into my car and drove away, again, with my four youngest, while I got into his car and drove the rest of the way to Seattle. I was in a particularly meditative state as I drove and ended up talking a good deal of the drive. I told Caden about Jan's email, asking how he felt about being an inspiration to so many, simply by being him. He asked me questions about it, saying that he "didn't feel like much of an inspiration- he just felt good enough to go to church that day."
Sometimes in our lives we are given the extraordinary gift of being someone's miracle. I have reflected much in the past few weeks on this word, "miracle." In Biblical times, miracles were things such as raising a man from the dead, giving sight unto the blind, feeding a multitude with only a few fishes and loaves of bread. These were some of the miracles our Savior, Jesus Christ performed. We also read about a Samaritan man that stops to help a man that has been left for dead. He tends to this man with the love of a father, giving him food and water, binding his wounds, placing him on his own donkey, taking him to a comfortable inn. Not only does he make sure to have him cared for while healing, he promises the inn keeper more for continued help, should the man need it. This Samaritan saw someone that could not help himself, that needed the love of another to simply survive. This Samaritan was a miracle to that man.
I have seen and felt many miracles in my lifetime, but none more than the last few months. Love has been given to us, people in desperate need to simply survive, by so many. Some we know, most we don't. Whether it was through prayers, money, time, gifts, or words, you have been a miracle in our lives. These things may seem like small acts at the time, but to those in need, they are the world. You never know when one act will make all the difference, when you will be someone's miracle.
Hello Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Angie Karras (Maughan) Hartung. I went to school with Randy and I used to live three doors down from your inlaws in Perry. (I even bought vinyl from you once). I started following your blog in February through a post that Micheal Martin put on Facebook. At the time my mom was battling Stage 4 Lymphoma. We have been blessed to have her go into remission since then. Following your blog I could feel your pain. I could only imagine the intensity of watching one of my own kids battle cancer vs. watching my mom. I feel like I've been eavesdropping in on your life and experiences. I have laughed with you, cried with you, and prayed for you and your family. You are an incredible writer and mother! I love checking in on your blog and I always know my soul will be fed. Thank your for letting me watch your incredible journey. This too shall pass. With love, Angie