The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Monday, September 21, 2015

Astonish

One of my favorite movies right now is 'Far From the Madding Crowd.'  One of my favorite parts is when she takes over the farm that she has been detailed in her uncle's will.  She stands in front of all of her new employees, telling them that she understand that they are used to a Master, yet...

"It is my intention to astonish you all."

As Keilie stood to give her talk in Sacrament meeting yesterday, it became beautifully, wonderfully clear that she intended to astonish us all.

Last week, Brother Hammond called Keilie, asking her to speak.  You could see her anxieties and excitement as soon as she walked downstairs to tell us.  Jokingly she said that she had told him no, until he told her it only had to be about 2-5 minutes.  It was a believable enough joke, that I was horrified for a minute that she would actually tell him no.  That should have been my first hint at how her talk would go.  I think she found pride at being able to scare me with her whit.

Her topic was assigned as Family, which I thought was a perfect topic for her first talk in Sacrament meeting, just 29 days after her 12th birthday.  She sat down and wrote this...

My name is Keilie Dirks.  Our family moved to Richland in November 2012.  My dad works for New World Systems selling software to cops.  No, this does not mean that he doesn’t get tickets if he speeds. My mom works at home.  She is my favorite person in the whole world.  She is the glue that holds us all together.  I love her so much.  Who knows what she does all day, without any kids to take care of.  Caden is my oldest brother.  He finally started school this week at Delta High.  I come next. I turned twelve less than a month ago and already love Young Women’s.  I was lucky to be able to get a head’s start by going to girls’ camp this year. Shelby is my only sister.  She turned eight this year and was baptized in January. Brennon will be eight next year.  Or will he?  His birthday is February 29th, so he will technically be 2.  He likes to joke that he is 1 and three quarters, right now. Tyson comes as the baby of our family.  He turns 6 in 23 days, and has been counting down since 60.  He is your typical family baby: Fun, Spoiled, and Loved by all. Our family has lived many places. My mom and dad grew up in Utah, Caden was born in Houston, Texas, where my parents moved right after they got married.  My dad’s last class in college brought them back to Utah, where I was born.  My dad’s career in sales took us to Casper, Wyoming where Shelby, Brennon, and Tyson were born, which is where I remember most of my childhood, so far. I love my family!  In the Strength of Youth pamphlet it says: “Being part of a family is a great blessing.  Your family can provide you with companionship and happiness.”  I know this to be true.  Last year, on November 30, our family got to go to Disney World through Make A Wish.  We got to stay at Give Kids the World: A village built just for Wish kids and their families.  The first night we got there, I had the BEST pot roast I have ever eaten.  During the week, we got to celebrate Christmas, Halloween, Easter and have free ice cream anytime we wanted- even for Breakfast.  My favorite was playing a live game of Candy Land.  Throughout the week we spent every single minute together.  After a year of being separated, it was SO MUCH FUN to do so much together.  As a family, we go on many trips together.  Spending time together is VERY important.  We have been on many road trips as a family.  We’ve been to Mall of America is Minnesota, Mount Rushmore in South Dakota, Lake Havasu in Arizona, Bryce Canyon National Forrest in Utah, and most recently to many different spots in Oregon and Washington.  It’s not all about the big trips, though.  I love stuff we talk about while eating dinner.  I love our games of kickball, duck-duck-goose, heads-up seven-up, Pass the Pigs, Uno, and Go Fish.  The Strength of Youth pamphlet also says: Participate in wholesome family activities and traditions.  God desires that all of his children come into the world as part of an eternal family with a mother and father who love and care for each other and for their children. I know that families can be together forever. I know that I have been blessed with an eternal family. I know the church is true, and I love my family.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


My heart was pounding as the Bishop stood up to announce the proceedings of the meeting.  I hoped that she remembered all of our suggestions (don't speed read, don't talk in monotone, look up often, don't just read the paper, etc).  As she began, I was immediately impressed by her commanding presence.  She stood tall, she talked confidently into the microphone, and she began speaking in her sweet, young woman's voice.  The room quieted quickly.  As each sentence was spoken, my heart swelled even more.  She was amazing.  Her jokes were received with laughter.  You could feel the surprise in the crowd- she was one of the better youth speakers we've had in a while, and it is not said because she is mine.  She didn't look or seem nervous at all...and she just turned 12!  She was talking to a HUGE crowd in the words that she put to paper herself!  She was a rockstar.


She astonished us all.


3 comments: