The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Friday, September 11, 2015

Stupid Stripes

 As soon as we moved into this home, I was extra giddy to be able to give my kids a fun, "childish" bathroom.  All of our other homes had main bathrooms that got used by everyone.  With those, I wanted them to look nice.  Now that I have a powder room on the main level, with everything else upstairs for our family's use, I wanted them to have something fun.  I went to Target, got a fun gender-neutral theme, and got to work that night.  I matched the colors I wanted to the towels I had purchased, prepped the wall to do stripes, and got to painting.  I was mega excited about the whole thing, until I ripped off the tape that I purchased by recommendation (supposedly the best-of-the-best for stripes on a textured wall) and saw this...

I had other plans for the room, but the second I saw the runs, I was done.  Seeing a pattern?  Once something doesn't turn out the way I envisioned, I give up. And cry.

Whispering (I have even been known to chuck food at the wall, swipe board games off the of table, and cut fabric to shreds when it didn't turn out.  I have a bit of a temper-tantrum problem.  Please still be my friends.  To my posterity: You know where it comes from, at least.)

I have hated that room ever since that moment.  I hung up the curtain and towels, telling myself I would get back to it when my emotions had calmed.  It's been almost 3 years, folks.  That day has come.
 With Pasco School District teachers still on strike, I have been looking for things for Caden to do.  I knew he would enjoy painting with me.  He was ecstatic to be able to use the roller.  You'd think with all of the painting we've done in this house, he'd had have an opportunity.  Nope!  We tend to do most of our work like that when the kids are in bed.  And, let's be honest, he has always been our babysitter when we needed to finish something when the kids were awake.  His day had arrived to finally feel a roller in his capable hands.
 Look at those stripes.  Don't they look so uniform?  I was proud of myself for using the level, taping straight, and using the "right tool for the right job."  You can thank Randy for those words of infinite wisdom.
I was going to do more with the stripes by adding trim and decor, but my temper got the best of me.  It stayed this blah, ugh for the entire time, never reaching it's full potential.  Poor bathroom.
Who needs to start their first day of High School when you have projects like this?  In all honesty, he is completely frustrated and totally hating being home, right now.  He is ready to begin, gosh darn it!!  Fingers crossed that he'll be able to start next week.  
By this point, I'm just hoping my Christmas Break!!!  Fingers crossed.
Just a quick temper tantrum here.  I got out my frustrations with it all.  I'm over it, promise.  Plus, I get to use my favorite paint color of all time: Benjamin Moore- Revere Pewter.  Bonus!
 Wanting to do this project right, (yet knowing that I tried to do it right the last time, and look where that got me *Breathe, you're over it, remember?*) it ended up taking us longer than expected to get all of the tape and other stuff put up and cut in.
 Look at that handsome face.
 Randy made it home as we were finishing up the coats.  You see him looking closely at our work?  Yeah, that always makes me feel nervous.  He does everything SO well, it makes it hard to compare my work to his.  He never makes me feel less-than, that's all me.  But it's nice to capture the look on camera, knowing that he just wants my work to make me happy.
He's seen a few of my tantrums, I guess. *Cough, Cough*
He's helping me do a few little projects before I give my Before and Afters, but so far, I am in heaven.  I've covered up my stupid mistake, and the world is made right again.  Randy is super busy with work, so I'm sure that the bulk of the repairs/remodels/redecorating will be done tomorrow, but for now, I am glad that Caden got to help me hide my 'ugh' behind 'aahh' with the fruits of his own elbow grease.  I'm tickled pink with the outcome, so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment