The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Friday, September 4, 2015

Noise


I have been asked by many people if I am loving a quieter house, now that all of my kids are back in school.  Well, almost all of them.  Pasco School District is still on Strike.  Caden doesn't make much noise, though.  So, he doesn't count.
After watching these little clips, I think you can imagine that I don't enjoy a quiet house as much as some would think.

I remember a time when I would have loved what I have now.  A time where I had five kids under the age of 8, or the time where I was homeschool Keilie with Shelby being 3, Brennon being 2, and Tyson being a toddler.  Those times, when the house was at it loudest/craziest/dirtiest/hardest, it would have been nice to have even 30-minutes of quiet to get my thoughts in order, let alone my home.

But, for the past few years as the kids have grown and matured, I have been getting that wish.  My home has become just a bit quieter, it has become just a bit cleaner, and my home has become less chaotic/exhausting with infants.  It's not to say that we don't have a messy house, cause, come on, there are 7 of us, after all!  However, I am reminded of a man that asked if my house was always clean because I have five kids to help me clean it.  At the time, I wanted to laugh in his face, spitting out my drink in exasperation at his ridiculousness.  I actually thought he was mental.  And then I realized, I was the mental one living off of too little sleep, too much stimulation.

"Sir, I have three babies under three.  What do you think my house looks like?"

But now, I get it.  My slaves do help me keep a much cleaner home.  Not as spotless as my OCD demands, but pretty darn good.  Now, since I am the only one that is cleaning (truly cleaning) around here, my home will become a place of absolute order.

But I can't help but miss the noise.

So, in answer to the big question:  Yes, I am happy to finally have my house the way I have always dreamed.  However, I realize now that my house has always been what I dreamed.  It is a tiny house that hold big love.  A noisy house that holds big laughs.  A house that stays cleaner, but enjoys the chaos of kids.  I miss them terribly when they leave.  And enjoy the mess they make while they are in my home.  I'm keeping their hand prints on the glass storm door for a little while.  To remind me what I have coming home to my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment