Last time we were away for an extended period of time, the cleaning bug attacked me about a week out. I must have squashed that bug with my cleaning jag two years ago, because I still just don't care about cleaning as much. This means that you can't see the kids' floor in their room for toys, clothes, school papers, and towels.
Because of other commitments, each of the kids has gotten to bed late all weekend. Can you say crabby pants? I was just done with their ridiculous arguments, so I turned to the one thing that always makes me feel better: a clean house. However, I was not really caring about them actually making their room spotless.
You see, because they were asked to clean, I knew they would play. It is a fact that if you tell them to play together there is bound to be an argument. However, if you tell them to clean, they are bonded by the shared secret that they are all not going to clean. They play best when they are supposed to be cleaning. I got what I needed at the time: silence.
Sometime soon the bug will bite and I'll be bothered by the absolute dive that is their room. But for now, I love hearing the smothered giggles as they pretend to be doing what I asked.
One hour later:
I need to repent. They actually played and cleaned their room. I am shocked. I really do have the best kids!!

Haha! I love your kids as well :)
ReplyDelete