Every time Randy goes to a new place for work, or we go somewhere new together, Randy always gets the kids a keychain. He has quite a childhood collection himself that he keeps in a box he made himself, actually. As he was considering what he could do to have a Memorable Christmas, he excitedly told me he knew what he wanted to do: make boxes with the kids. Shelby, Brennon, and Tyson were the only ones that wanted to. Keilie scoffed, giving a "yeah, right" attitude. Her loss.
They went to Home Depot for supplies while I moved all cars to the driveway. Randy set up "shop" and they got to work.
Keilie took the opportunity of an "empty" house to invite her boyfriend, Dallin, over to play games and hang out.
Randy gave them the option to stain or burn their box. Shelby and Tyson chose stain.
Brennon chose to burn his. However, he said he wanted Randy to do it so he wouldn't ruin it. But that's not how Randy works, thankfully. He showed Brennon what to do...
Brennon chose to burn his. However, he said he wanted Randy to do it so he wouldn't ruin it. But that's not how Randy works, thankfully. He showed Brennon what to do...
And then stood back to watch his son work.
I was sitting on the couch reading a book when I happened to look up to see Brennon standing by the twinkling Christmas tree, looking down at the box in his hands. "I am always going to remember this Christmas when I got to make this with my Dad," said softly, reverently to himself. When he caught me looking at him, he ducked his head, embarrassed I'd caught him talking to himself when he thought I was distracted. The scene was one I wish I could have caught on video to show Randy. It was incredibly precious.




What a special memory!! I love the boxes. I remember making something similar in 6th grade. I can still picture the green velvet I used to line the inside.
ReplyDeleteThis is neat. Audrey would love a treasure box.
ReplyDelete