The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~
Thursday, June 14, 2012
The Brady Bunch
While in Utah this last time, we got together with my Cousin, Jamie, and her family for a Memorial Day party. She had her girls dressed in matching skirts and shirts that she'd made. She was the inspiration I needed to try again at this sewing stuff. So, this morning I took Keilie to tutoring and took the other four to Hobby Lobby to buy the material. I found the exact fabric (remember I love copying) and a pattern and headed home to pick Keilie up. The kids needed something to do while I was stressing sewing, so we all headed back to Hobby Lobby to choose an activity for them to do. It must have been about 30 minutes from the time I checked out the first time till I checked out the second time. Same line, same lady. The first time she asked if I was going to use the fabric to make those skirts (Yep!) and told me they were going to turn out great. She commented on how beautiful Shelby is (I couldn't agree more!) and sent us on our way. The second time (again, only 30 minutes) she was FLOORED to see me with five kids. Remember, this is only one more kid than I had before. Same kids, same clothes. She counted them with fanfare, making sure that everyone else in line knew how many I had. She asked if she'd gotten her count right, as if I had 50 kids instead of just 5. She told me that I was SUPER busy and how crazy it must be at our house. Then she made the comment that I was one "girl" short of being the Brady Bunch. The funny thing to me is that I never get comments from people if I have just four kids. NEVER! However, whenever I have the one extra kid, we get looks, stares, comments, and even pointing as if they are flabbergasted that we have so many. Come on people, it's just five kids! I made the comment back to her that we weren't a blended family, that we'd chosen to have these five kids, and that we never view them as anything other than a blessing. She gave me a "God Bless You" and sent me on my way. Sorry to disappoint folks, we're not going to try for a girl:) We'll always be one person short of the Brady Bunch. Do you think that's the same as one sandwich short of a picnic?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment