The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Infinite Value

Our family store is still going strong. My kids have lulls once in a while, but all-in-all they love to earn their tickets. So much so, that Caden found himself with 106 this Monday. I went to Walmart and FILLED the store to overflowing with snacks, nick-nack, and little trinkets that I thought they might like. It was like Ariel's treasure trove at the Dirks' house, I tell you. Caden was left with 106 tickets after. He said he wasn't interested in spending that many tickets on nothing. I needed to up my game plan. This shouldn't surprise me. This is a boy with over $1,500 in his bank account because he saves every cent he earns.

Yesterday, on the way home from school, Caden asked if we could go to the Mormon bookstore to get him a new Holy Bible, his baptism-day scriptures have pages that were falling out and that just does not work for the boy that craves perfection. He gave me all of the money in his wallet and promised that he would do extra chores and give up all of his tickets for the nicest set. His yearning was so sincere, that I had no desire to even contemplate walking out with the bare-minimum set. He was all excitement for his new scriptures on the way home from the bookstore. 

"I'm glad that I didn't buy all snacks with my tickets. I got something of infinite worth, instead."

I had made a list of a few chores I needed done (you know the ones that you procrastinate, although you are home all day, with no kids or excuses) and threw them all out after hearing him say this, all the while watching him caress and cherish his new purchase. 

He is so much more valiant than I could ever imagine a teenage boy being. He teaches me so much. With this recent cancer find, his plans of going on a mission at 18 are gone. We are hopeful for a call at 19, now. Even so, this boy is a missionary NOW. 

1 comment: