The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Sunday, October 16, 2016

New Calling

I got called as the Junior (18 month-2 years) Nursery Leader two weeks ago.  The first week was pure chaos.  I didn't realize the sheer number of children in that class.  I thought there were five.  There are 11!  I had done a lot of research throughout the week and had organized and worked really hard to make it a good class for those two hours.  All that went out the window pretty darn fast.  This week I did more and more of everything.  It was better...sort of. 

It was MUCH better than week number one, but it was still quite exhausting.  Trying to keep that many mostly non-verbal kids happy at all times, engaged in learning activities and lessons, sitting when they are supposed to, eating only their own food, drinking out of their own sippie, trying not to take toys that someone else is playing with, 4 poopy diapers, crazy antics when a child was weepy or for a distraction, and many others that I have forgotten or suppressed deep in my mind, left me shaking when I got home from an enormous adrenaline spike that lasted for two hours.

I'm grateful for the two women that are my assistants.  There truly is no way I could do it on my own.  For my safety and the kids'.  But the mental, emotional, and physical exertions and energies that are necessary for this calling had me near tears the second I got home.  And it is only week number two.  I sure hope this gets easier.  And less anxiety filled.  If I could just snuggle with happy kids and watch them play happily for two hours, that would be great.  Adding on teaching them and weepy emotions is a whole other situation.  And 11.....YOWSA!!!

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment