Last night we had a FHE lesson on Talents. I had taught Brennon's class on this topic a few weeks ago and knew I would be doing it with my family for FHE sometime soon. It went even better with our family than it did with the 8 year olds-- and it had gone seriously well with the 8 year olds!
I first read the story from Matthew 25 about the Master that gave three Servants 5 talents, 2 talents, and only one talent, based on their abilities. We had a discussion about it and then told the kids that we wanted a time to brag about ourselves, listing all of the talents that we knew we already possessed. We told the kids that accurate spelling was not required, that they could just write and write and write about themselves. Even little Tyson was furiously writing for the 7 minutes that we took, although at one point said he couldn't remember what he had written, because it wasn't spelled right. I did help brainstorm a few ideas while they were writing, hoping to jog their memories.
Then we went around the room in a circle and had each family member say one talent that we recognize in each other. They could add it to their own list, or acknowledge that it was one they already had written down. We love verbally lifting each other up often, but this was the first time we had done this for "talents", instead of "one thing we like about that person."
After, we went around the circle reading our talents lists aloud. It was really great to see them be able to boast the talents that they believed they had. They all said them with pride, no embarrassment at all. It was really nice for them to feel safe to say they were good at so many things, without worrying about anyone putting them down for being boastful or cocky. We helped them recognize that the talents that they have are things that need to be used and shared, that we should not be afraid to share our talents. We also taught them that just like the servants in the scriptures, they needed to use them or lose them- thus bringing the judgments of our Heavenly Father, whether joyous or censure.
Last, we talked about talents that we didn't yet possess, but that we wanted to work on. They had to put at least one, but were welcome to make a list as long as they could imagine. These are things that we are going to try our hand at to see if we can make it into a shareable, true talent. I told them how as a child I had always wanted to learn to do a running roundoff backhandspring, that I had entered tumbling for that, and that alone, and that I had never gotten it down, no matter how hard I tried, or how much I really wanted it. I just couldn't. But it didn't mean that I couldn't work on other talents, or that I would never be good at anything.
The kids listened. They took it seriously. They loved to brag about the gifts that our Heavenly Father has given them, recognizing them as strengths to help themselves and others. It was an amazing discussion around our front room. At the close, Keilie chose We'll Bring the World His Truth as the closing song. As we gathered around the piano (one of my talents), it felt almost magical as we each sang out, "And we will be the Lord's missionaries, to bring the world His truth." With our talents used and sharpened, our family plans to proclaim that, "He Lives, He Loves us, and He wants us to come home."
So I challenge you now: Make a list of every talent that you possess, whether big or small. When they are all written down, you'll see how long it is and how blessed you are, what you need to try harder to use, and maybe even think of things you'd like to work on to acquire.
It was an amazing night filled with love, acceptance, pondering, and learning. A perfect night to end a stress-filled, heaven-approved two hours in Nursery.
No comments:
Post a Comment