Yesterday, when he was getting ready for school, he came down in all black. However, knowing that we had an actual suit for him to wear, I asked him to go and change into it. And, let me just say, it was a fight. He was so worried that Mrs. Jones had told him to "wear all black", not a suit! I had to use all sorts of encouraging tones, and examples of what Presidents wear, and even had to pull out a bribe. The bribe was given because the tears were falling rapidly-- he really was worried that his teacher would not approve of his white shirt. All that worry went out the window with just a few words, "If you wear this suit, I will get you a little treat, kay?" And so it was done.
And when I saw that boy with his "tall, black hat," all shame for bribing my kid with "a bag of blue Doritos" evaporated-- he looked perfect!
Each child in the class had a part to say, each talking to, or asking questions of, Abraham about facts from his life. When it was
He blends into the background with his mostly black costume, but he still shines up on that stage.
After the program, we went back to his classroom to see the work the kids had done during the American Studies month, and to have cookies and punch. It was fun to see the kids giggle as Tyson acted silly in his costume, showing us that the hat needed balled up newspaper to stand so tall. He may be a silly jokester, but on stage, he was completely composed. He was serious...ly cute!
I'm not sure why Tyson looks like a baby Conehead, but look at his lashes on his silhouette! Tyson and Caden are tied for first for their long, thick, dark lashes. Mrs. Jones did a TON of work to get these done. I'm so glad she loves her job enough to go above and beyond to make these kids have lasting memories from 1st grade.
One thing about Tyson: he has told me for over a year now that he wants to be in the Army when he grows up. I'm not sure what his future holds, but if he does go into the Army, I'm sure he'll be just as fearless and confident as he is now. That boy doesn't let anything hold him back!
"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. And I gladly stand up, next to you, and defend her still today. 'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land. God, Bless the USA!"
No comments:
Post a Comment