Randy was summoned for Jury duty last year around the time we found cancer again. They willingly allowed him to defer for a year. I'm fairly certain his summons this time came a year, to the day.
Because of pre-scheduled work meetings, they told him that he could be excused for the second week, but that he needed to be at the courthouse yesterday at 8:00am. Since this was his first time (although second summons) we were both interested in the process. He got there on time, was put in a large room with about 50 people, and then separated into a smaller group of about 15, set for "District" court. About 20 minutes after that, he sent me a text that read, "Still waiting." I was super glad that he was keeping me well informed, that way I kind of knew what to expect when I get my own summons. However, we still have no idea what to expect-- he was sent home after just one hour. The Prosecutor for the case that they were to juror over was sick; they were all excused, and relieved of their duty.
Now that is I what I call upholding your civic duty! Lucky, Mister!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our appraisal was schedule for 2:00pm today. I was really feeling anxious to know tonight or tomorrow (OK, I admit it, I wanted to know immediately) whether we were going to sell our house, whether this story was going to get even more fantastic. The guy came early, stayed for about 25 minutes, took pictures of every conceivable thing, and said the words that I did not want to hear.
"I'll submit no sooner than Sunday. You'll have it in a week."
Just another test of my patience, it seems. Good news: everything is finalized on the home that we will buy, should this all go through. There has been some stress with the sellers not wanting to fix things found during the Inspection, but they finally came around. One less thing to be stressed about, though I won't start packing anything until we know for sure. My goodness, it feels so weird knowing that it has only been 32 days since this all began. It feels like so much longer with all of the waiting.
I should have made him a cake-- that worked well for Doctor Hawkins when he was trying to bribe Pathology for the report from his resected tumor in 2014. The news was also favorable, so maybe the same joyous-type news could have been said about this. Alas! No cake. No news today. More waiting.
One week. {Cue 'Elevator Music' on repeat}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While eating dinner tonight, Brennon burst into tears when we told him he wouldn't get dessert or Valentine's candy unless he ate his carrots (3 raw baby carrots, by the way-- oh, the torture we cause our kids!). Randy made a prediction: "Let me guess, when you are parents, you won't make your kids eat their vegetables, right?" Let the record show, for generations to come, that Brennon and Shelby said they would never make their kids eat their vegetables.
Grandkids, if you are reading this and either is your parent, you can remind them of their solemn promises, made with pinkie swears and cross-my-hearts. You're welcome. I love you. I'm your favorite Grandma, don't you forget it.
The carrots were eaten. Dessert and Valentine's candy are now being happily inhaled. They are my kids after all-- we can lay waste to sugar quicker than a blink.
Thank you, Carolyn!! Dinner was delicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment