The appraiser told us he'd have the results submitted by Sunday at the earliest, so check with the bank on Monday. At the time, we'd forgotten it was a holiday, so Monday was set in our minds until Friday afternoon when we realized we wouldn't find out about it until Tuesday. It felt like the universe was asking us to wait for everything. Randy had a 6:00am flight on Tuesday morning, so he checked as soon as he could when he landed. The banker could not see that it had been posted, telling us that the appraiser "may have forgotten." That alone had me filled with anxiety-- I did not want to wait another day to know if we should start packing or not! About an hour later, we got a call: because of a changed date from underwriting, it had actually blocked the banker from being able to see it. But, not to worry, our buyer's had received the answer in an email on Saturday... Wait, what?!
So, Randy reached out to the buyers, asking if they knew the results of the appraisal. And here it is:
**It appraised for what we needed it to!!**
But....
In one phone call we got the "YES" we had been waiting a whole week for (honestly, I had been waiting for it since January 29th, when we signed contracts) and a "I'm just not quite sure about it anymore. I'm having some major anxiety. Is there any way you would come down another $6,000?"
My first reaction to hearing this was confusion. Then disbelief. Then rage. They came to us, despite Randy telling them that I didn't want to sell and move. I had to work through my anxieties in the span of about 12 hours, finally coming to terms that this may be real, that we may be moving after just six months of "security." They told us a price that they could do. We said ok, realizing that there is always compromise with price, and that it was only a few thousand under what we wanted to sell it for. And now, at the finish line, weeks later, they say they've had a problem with the price the whole time?! NO!!! We are not going to sell our home at a discount to buy a home that has had no discount-- we don't need to move. That's the very purpose of the Make Me Move offer-- you say what you'd be willing to move for. If they are willing to pay that price, then you'll move. If not, don't even consider looking at it in the first place! They signed contracts saying ok, giving us their word, and now they may back out?! If we were not under contract, I would have walked away right then.
Randy gave them until 5:00pm for an answer. I mean, come on, you've had days with this knowledge, and you still can't decide?! Try having 12 hours without any clue beforehand that this could be a possibility! At 4:40pm, he text saying that they just couldn't have an answer by then. Without any idea of how long they would take, we just had to wait. Oh, my gosh, I kept getting madder and madder. I am not a patient person. I thought the hardest part would be waiting for the appraisal-- turns out, it could get much worse.
The only reason that things were so stressful was because the appraiser for the home we have under contract went out that very morning. We had already put our necks on the line paying $400 for an inspection. We wanted to wait until after the appraisal on our current home to start paying any money, but we only had 10 days to do the inspection. So we paid that money, hoping that it wouldn't be a waste. However, with the appraiser going out to our new home on the exact day our appraisal results were supposed to come in for our current home, we risked having to pay another $600; we had until he submitted it to back out without penalty. If that new-home appraiser was on the ball, he could have gotten it submitted last night at like 9:00pm. Meaning: if they continued to drag their feet, we'd be locked in to pay that money, regardless of their decision. Potentially, $1,000 spent for nothing, on a home that we would love to have, but don't need to buy, simply because they were getting cold feet. Before, we'd have been ok with them backing out. Now, with that much money on the line, we needed their answer fast. It was not a peaceful night for me. On top of the anxieties of cancer.
I finally crawled into bed at 10:15, hoping that I would be able to fall asleep at all. I slept, thankfully, waking to a text from Randy:
10:38pm- They let me know 30 minutes ago that they are going to buy our house. My Do Not Disturb prevented me from seeing it.
My Do Not Disturb prevented me from seeing his message before tossing and turning for a few hours last night. Awesome!
5 weeks and 4 days ago, Randy got a text that thrust us into this surreal story. Just to clarify, we did not come down on the price again-- they are buying it for the price they signed for. Boy, this weekend has been a FULL one. Can you say, Roller coaster?!
Conclusion:
The King and Queen are selling their castle!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment