The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Sunday, April 2, 2017

April General Conference

We had such a wonderful weekend listening to General Conference.  We usually do candy-type activities, but after seeing a counted cross-stitch thing for Keilie, I wanted the family to have sewing-type activities this time, just to see if we could make some new traditions.  And let me just say, yes, we have found our new tradition!
 It was fun sitting close to Tyson, showing him how to do it.  After a few times showing him, he grabbed it from my hands with an, "I got this!" and never needed my help again, unless it was to end/start the yarn.  He loved it!
 Shelby's was the only one that was a true cross-stitch pattern-- the others were just a Continental stitch, which was by far easier.  Caden said he didn't want to do one, but started helping Brennon (who tried and gave up many different times) and then just kept going.  You can see Brennon below, taking notes after his fifth attempt with sewing.
 Keilie's was a true counted cross-stitch, her first ever.  I found a simple Young Women's Torch, and knew I wanted her to learn this weekend.  She did such an amazing job!!

Hiding his face.  He doesn't want to admit it, but he had a great time sewing.
 Brennon kept himself busy by taking notes, coloring CTR pages, doing LDS Apostles and LDS Temple word search papers, and Bingo.  He tried sewing more than five times, but he just couldn't grasp it, and quickly lost interest.  He was such a good little note taker, though.


And, of course, there was plenty of Mira time.

After the sessions yesterday, we had dinner as a family before Randy and Caden went to the Priesthood session.  They grabbed some ice cream on their way home, quickly changed into more sports appropriate clothing, and headed to the Dunes.




Sunday, April 2, 2017
 We had another great day today listening to the Prophets of our day, and finishing our projects.
 Shelby finished her Cupcake about 30 minutes before the end of conference.  Her first cross-stitch is a two-thumbs-up success!
 Caden finished all of the brown, although he didn't work on it exclusively during all sessions.  Once conference ended, he said he didn't want to work on it any more, (I rolled my eyes when he said he never really wanted to-- "ummm, no one was forcing you to!!") so I finished it.
Keilie finished her Young Women's Torch almost exactly as they were giving the closing prayer.  Like Shelby, her first counted cross-stitch is a two-thumbs-up, mom is SO proud, hope she keeps going success!

I am so proud of my kids for the talents they started this weekend while "learning at the Master's feet." What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same. (D&C 1:38)

*Tyson has just a few more lines to go before he is finished with his.  I'm sure he'll pick it up again soon; I'll post a picture when he finishes.  While I type, Randy is trying to help Brennon work on his.  Poor Brennon, he just isn't picking it up.  If he perseveres, I'll post a very proud picture of his finished project.

1 comment:

  1. Brennon and I are more alike than I realize sometimes. I was never for sewing, I would have been down there coloring with him. I love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete