Many months ago I wrote about a book that changed our family for the better: Wonder. I knew from the first chapter of the book that I was going to like it, and from the first instant I heard it was going to be a movie that I would take my family to see it opening day. That day is today! My Grandpa-in-law's family sent us a gift card to "find enjoyment" after Caden's passing and I knew I would save it for Wonder. The kids and I have been counting down, talking about our excitement every time we thought about it. Shelby prayed last night, "we're thankful we get to see Wonder tomorrow." And now it is today! It feels good to look forward to something.
Update:
The movie was amazing! The acting was exactly what I saw in my head as I was reading. It followed the book so well. I wish I knew it would come out on BluRay for Christmas-- I would buy it for myself! It is a buyer, for sure.
I could relate in some ways, many times, to the mother. From the worry that kids were going to make fun of my medical-miracle child (Caden's feeding tube, bald head, weight loss/gain, massive/multiple scars) to many life threatening surgeries and trying to give enough time to all of her children, I found myself really understanding more than she was saying in words. The part that touched me the most, that really resonated with me, was when she pointed to her heart while speaking to her grieving child, explaining to him that we all have scars on our faces.
"This {meaning her heart} is a map of where we are going. This {meaning her face} is a map of where we have been."
My face has a few extra, deep lines and wrinkles, formed from many, many hours of worry and crying. My face imperfections may not be ideal by the world's standards, but I am proud of my map that shows where I have been. I am a mother that has stood and cheered and fought and advocated (and always will) next to the ones I love. I am the mother that will worry about her children till the day I die. I am the mother that will look at her children and see many extraordinary stories worth telling. My children are a Wonder.
I hope it doesn't disappoint!
ReplyDelete